Monday, October 26, 2009

Joys of Supplemental health insurance

Just back from a yearly check up with my Bone Doctor for osteoporosis. Yesterday they called to advise me that Medicare no longer pays for yearly scans. They'll only pop for one every two years. A typical viewpoint of our medical system in the USA. When will our politicians on both sides of the aisle learn that preventative care is so much less expensive than care for critical conditions?

The pharmaceutical and insurance companies have our supposed representatives in their palms. Seems politicians care more about building huge coffers for their campaigns than about the people they are supposed to be representing. I wonder if they ever considered that they wouldn't need all that lobbying and campaign money to get re-elected if they served the need of their constituents?

We've all been misled - they told us donuts were bad for our health - turns out it's really the "donut hole" in our supplemental prescription plans. I am fortunate enough to be able to buy my outrageously priced meds during this horrendous period. So many of my contemporaries have to forego their medications in order to buy food and keep warm.

Please lend us your ear and your vote Republican and Democratic Reps and Senators. We need your vote to keep us well and health care costs down by using preventative medicine.

I am aware that some of you think people over 65 years of age have lived long enough. I'm not a gambling woman but I'll bet you change your mind when it's you who turns 65!

Let me hear what you believe.

Meanwhile I'm going to take my funny book, "The Perils of the Peanut Butter Kid" to bed for some laughs. If things keep going this way - a sense of humor is all we'll have left.

1 comment:

  1. All this Medicare supplemental insurance and prescriptions info is so incomprehensible. I don't know how the public in general can make informed decisions about the myriads of choices.
    I hope the new medical reform bills clarify choices and give everyone access to medical insurance via the public option. Having lived in the UK for 12 years, I know that this works.

    ReplyDelete